Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Christian Suffering - Part 3

Strength Out of Weakness - Why

Corrie ten Boom was a woman of strong faith and a radiant face. Why? She had suffered as most of us Americans can hardly imagine. She had responded to that suffering (in a concentration camp during World War II) with trust. Learning the depth of human helplessness and weakness, she turned to the only One who could be to her a strong tower. He was faithful to His promises. One of the most soul-fortifying pictures I have of her in my mind is of her getting up in the morning, standing up in her cell, and singing in a loud voice so that other prisoners could hear, “Stand up, Stand up for Jesus!”

“Oh, I could never have survived!” we say. The truth is that we could if the Lord allowed us to be put in her position, and if we looked to Him for the strength needed. I mean that we could “survive” spiritually. As Martin Luther wrote, “The body they may kill, God’s truth abideth still.”

It is the experience of weakness that puts us in the position of seeking another’s strength. Paul had a “sharp physical pain which came as Satan’s messenger to bruise” him. “This was to save me from being unduly elated. Three times I begged the Lord to rid me of it, but his answer was: “My grace is all you need; power comes to its full strength in weakness.” (2 Cor 12:7-9 New English Bible)

The refusal of grace is what causes breakdown. Acknowledge weakness, confess need, and come in humility to Him who promises to supply plenty of grace. It's all we need.

No comments: